The risk of heart disease in women has recently excelled breast cancer, which was once the most common women health issue. Now women are more prone to suffer cardiovascular problems. Heart diseases have become the leading cause of women’s death, killing around 500,000 women each year in America. Women approaching menopause are more susceptible to heart concerns because they experience many hormonal changes and also gain weight, which is one of the reasons for heart issues in women. Moreover the unhealthy living habits of women today are another major cause of such problems. Here we have certain tips for women that can help them in preserving the health of their hearts.
- Accumulation of visceral fat around the heart and belly is one of the main causes of heart issues. However, the build up of visceral fat can be prevented by switching to a healthy lifestyle by eating healthy and exercising regularly. If you already have put on this visceral fat, then you must take steps to get rid of it as soon as possible. Along with fat burning exercises, a balanced, nutritious and healthy diet that consists of essential minerals and vitamins is also a must as it helps in removing those visceral fats.
- Women in a menopausal stage are more likely to be lethargic. But, it should always be remembered that whether you are young or older, your heart needs exercise in since it is a muscle. Aerobic exercising along with other cardiovascular exercises like a 30- minute brisk walk and running a treadmill everyday can keep the cardio muscles strong. These exercises will also help you keep the visceral fat away. You can also watch an exercise video that can provide a good exercise for your heart.
- Heart problems don’t just affect women who are approaching menopause, but it can affect women even before that. Therefore it is always good to get a regular check up for any cardiovascular problems around your early 40’s. Since the body’s metabolism slows down as you age, it becomes necessary for you to take a physical exam with your doctor so any problem get resolved in its roots. Also get your cholesterol levels checked regularly as higher levels can put you at a greater risk of heart diseases. Along with your cholesterol, you should also keep a regular check on your iron levels and blood pressure.
- While eating healthy is necessary to maintain a healthy heart, quitting smoking and tobacco intake is also necessary. Although alcohol consumption is not linked with heart diseases, it can still pose your health to various other women’s health issues. Therefore, it should again be avoided.
- The last and the most important tip for keeping your heart healthy is to keep stress down as much as possible. For this you can involve yourself in activities that keep you happy and helps with your stress management like meditating, dancing, listening to music, shopping or hanging out with friends.