Did you ever imagine having a dip for breakfast? No, I’m not taking about the creamy dips you serve at parties, but rather a saucy dish which you can mop up with chunks of crusty bread. And when it has eggs floating on top, it’s a lavish breakfast dish everyone wants to wake up to. Take a hint from this recipe of poached eggs with a twist.
This recipe makes sure that the poached eggs are not left alone. A spicy tomato sauce gives yummy company to the regular poached eggs and adds sparkles to a boring breakfast selection. The tartness of the tomatoes marries the warm flavors of spices to create a dish you simply can’t say no to. However, unlike a classic poached eggs recipe which leaves the yolks runny, this recipe makes sure that the eggs are well-done.
In spite of its luscious flavors, this breakfast delicacy is inexpensive, simple to make, and keeps you full till lunch which makes the dish even better. It can be easily made with basic ingredients available in all kitchen pantries and customized to meet your dietary needs. So give your own touch of creativity by adding leafy greens, broccoli, herbs and even chunks of lean meat for enhanced flavors. You may also serve it with a healthy side dish and transform it into a light meal.
- 2 eggs
- One can chopped tomatoes, with juice
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- One handful chopped red peppers
- One handful cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 2 large pinches finely chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp honey
- One handful feta cheese
- One pinch smoked paprika
- Salt to taste
- Olive oil, as required
- Place a heavy-based skillet on the stove and heat it over medium high heat.
- Drizzle olive oil on it and heat until it simmers.
- Add the crushed garlic and fry for a minute until it is fragrant.
- Stir in the chopped peppers as well as cherry tomatoes and empty the can of chopped tomatoes into it.
- Sprinkle a dash of salt and stir them all together until mixed well.
- Drizzle honey over the sauce and stir along with a pinch of smoked paprika.
- Reduce it to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Mash them into a chunky pulp and cook further until the sauce reduces to half.
- Stir in a large pinch of chopped cilantro and crack the eggs on it, side by side.
- Cook until the eggs are nicely poached and the yolks are set.
- Crumble the cheese on top and scatter the remaining cilantro over it.
- Cook for a minute or two to allow the cheese to melt and remove from heat.
- Serve warm alongside chunks of bread.
Image credit: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Shakshuka10.jpg